The Doctor of Design program (Major Code: 130500) is a leading doctoral degree program for highly creative and motivated professionals who wish to conduct rigorous, intensive design research. We serve to promote innovative design education and practice. The 6 research directions focus on:
1) Product design and interactive design
2) Visual communication and digital media arts
3) Design strategies and management
4) Public art and design
5) Industrial design and intelligent design
6) The history and theory of design
The Doctor of Architecture program (Major Code: 081300) newly start its enrollement from class of 2023. We aim to promote independent critical thinkers and research specialists across the increasingly broad fields of architecture and the built environment. The 4 research directions focus on:
1) Architectural design and theories
2) Architectural history and theories
3) Urban planning and design
4) Building science and technology
2023 Student Admission
The following are general requirements for application to SJTU International Graduate Programs.
Oct 1, 2022 2023 application opens
Dec 15, 2022 Deadline for 1st Round Chinese Government Scholarship application
Feb 15, 2023 Deadline for 2nd (Last) Round Chinese Government Scholarship application
Mar 31, 2023 Deadline for SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship application
May 31, 2023 Deadline for self-supported application
Sept.11, 2023 Enrollment
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Complete the Online Application
Complete and submit an online application at Study@SJTU (http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/) before the application deadline. If you wish to apply for the scholarship at the same time, please complete the application before the scholarship deadline.
Step 2: Pay the Application Fee
The application fee is RMB 800 (approx. USD 120), non-refundable and non-transferable. Payment must be made in RMB or USD. You can choose online payment or bank transfer in the online application system.
MATERIALS TO PREPARE
1. Degree certificates, in scanned files. Applicants who have not graduated by the time of application are required to provide an official letter from their current university stating the expected graduation date.
2. Transcripts, in scanned files. Master’s program applicants are required to submit undergraduate transcripts. Doctoral program applicants are required to submit both undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
3. Proof of language proficiency.（pls see Language Requirement for SJTU International Graduate Programs）
4. Scanned copy of passport.
5. Passport-size photo.
6. Personal statement and study plan.
7. Two letters of academic recommendation from scholars who are associate professors or above, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters with original signatures.
8. If you are applying for Doctoral Program, you are required to contact the supervisor beforehand and provide the signed acceptance letter by the supervisor. Please refer to this link for supervisors name list: School of Design Supervisors List | 上海交通大学设计学院 (sjtu.edu.cn) and the attachment for the template of acceptance letter.
Note: If your documents are not in English or Chinese, please have them translated into either English or Chinese by an authorized translation agency. Then upload both the translated and original documents onto the application system.
RMB 45,500/Year for Doctoral programs (Approx. USD 6,600/Year)
Basically, for incoming international graduate students, there are two channels for scholarship application: through Shanghai Jiao Tong University or through Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country. Applicants may choose only one application channel. Replicated applications through more than one channel are not allowed.
How to Apply
1. Apply for scholarships through SJTU
Starting from 2023, scholarships for doctoral programs will consist of: SJTU Fellowship, CSC/SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship. And scholarships for Master programs will consist of: CSC/SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship, School/College Scholarship. Details of each scholarship will be on the application system.
When applying at http://apply.sjtu.edu.cn/ applicants should choose “apply for scholarship through SJTU”and follow the steps online. Applicants should complete the scholarship application procedures in time according to the requirements of the university.
The earlier an applicant completes the application, the sooner he/she will receive an offer of admission and scholarship if the review result from the university is positive. Applicants can check the scholarship result through the application system.
Please note that applicants applying for Chinese Government Scholarship through SJTU are required to submit their applications before the specified deadline and upload the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (filled in and downloaded from https://www.campuschina.org/). If not recommended as a CSC Scholarship candidate, the applicant will be automatically assessed for the SGS Scholarship, or SJTU Scholarship.
2. Apply for scholarships through Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country
Applicants may also apply to the Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country for scholarship opportunities. The application schedule varies from country to country (usually from November to April).
Please consult the Chinese Embassy/Consulate about its application schedule, eligibility, requirements, procedures, documents, agency number, program category type and so on in advance. For the contact information of Chinese Embassies/Consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/.
Please note that applicants who apply for scholarships through Chinese Embassy/Consulates must also apply on the website of the University according to the HOW TO APPLY specified in Article 3 of this 2023 SJTU International Graduate Admission.
In general, scholarships duration cannot be extended.
All scholarship recipients are obliged to participate in the annual scholarship review in April and/or May which will confirm their scholarship status in the next academic year.